Diagnostic Assessment of Developmental, Learning & Behavioural Difficulties in Children
Find Out More
Clinical Children’s Psychologist Newcastle
Hunter Children’s Psychology is a Paediatric Clinical Psychology clinic in Newcastle NSW. Our clinical psychologists provide comprehensive assessment and diagnosis of developmental, learning and behavioural difficulties.
Hunter Children’s Psychology Newcastle provides psychological assessment of children up to age 16 years.
Our child psychology services include assessement & diagnosis of:
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Specific Learning Disorders
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Behaviour Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Emotional Concerns
Paediatric Psychological Assessment
The primary purpose of a paediatric psychological assessment is to answer a specific question regarding some difficulty in your child’s behaviour, learning or development. Detailed assessment of your child’s specific areas of strength and weakness is important to assist with accurate diagnosis and understanding of your child’s presentation. It enables us to provide you with the most appropriate recommendations to best support your child.
Your child’s assessment includes:
- Interview session and discussion with the child and parents (and sometimes teachers).
- Formal testing session using standardised measures
- Feedback session, explaining the clinical findings, related diagnosis, treatment recommendations
- Multiple copies of the assessment report
Note that we do not provide letters or assessments for family law or legal purposes
A referral is not necessary for your child to undertake an assessment. However, it is preferable that your child’s difficulties are first discussed with your GP or paediatrician before seeking a psychological assessment with our service. A comprehensive referral from your GP or paediatrician can be helpful in providing the psychologist with clinical information that will assist the assessment process.